Friday, February 08, 2008

Conservatives Get McCained - Shall We Submit?

I held my nose and voted for George Herbert Walker Bush in 1992. That was after his "Read my lips..." debacle. We got the Clintons.

I held my nose and voted for Bob Dole in 1996. He was a war hero. He was a "big government" Republican Senator who just happened to be "the next in line." We got the Clintons -- again.

I held my nose and voted for George Walker Bush in 2000. It was an act of God that he happened to be the President at the time of 9/11. He was THE leader we needed in the initial years following 9/11. Though I enthusiatically supported and voted for him in 2004, in some ways it is a vote I now regret. But He is not a Conservative either. He was fiscally irresponsible. He has failed to assert himself on a host of issues that could have made a great difference. He has presided over the surrender of Congress back to the Democrats -- though ALL elected Republicans in Washington bear the blame for that mess.

I have often said I won't be "bushed" or "Doled" again. No, now I am faced with being "McCained." After years of insults from this man, I am told I have no choice but to forget all his insults, all his betrayals of principles I hold dear, all the angry expletive laced tirades he's hurled at those who defied his views... I am told to "compromise."

I am a Conservative. I have compromised ENOUGH. I have compromised ever since Reagan left office in 1988, if not before. What shall I compromise next? What have I NOT compromised already? When do liberals and "moderates" get around to compromising? Why is it that "bi-partisanship" means Conservatives have to agree with Liberals, but Liberals have to change NOTHING?

I am a Conservative. I believe in LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. I believe in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I DO NOT believe either Republicans or Democrats share those values today. But I will NO LONGER compromise them.

I am a Conservative. I will not hold my nose and vote away my principles again. I have done it for 20 years. I have gained nothing, and more importantly, neither has our nation. If I surrender my principles again, our nation may never wake up, may never return to it's foundational principles.

I am a Conservative, I am an American. I have had enough of the political games. I am standing on principle. Come what may.

No comments: